All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.06
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.78
- AU $6.83Trending at AU $10.44
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.49
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.41
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.65
About this product
- DescriptionThomas Lanier Clingman: Fire Eater from the Carolina Mountains is the first book-length biography of one of the most important, colorful, and controversial figures in nineteenth-century American life. A man of ermous intellect and intense ambition whose ultimate goal was thing less than the presidency, Clingman was a lawyer, entrepreneur, Civil War general, inventor, amateur scientist, explorer, and, as a U.S. congressman and senator, one of the foremost champions of southern rights. Thomas E. Jeffrey's analysis of how a leading advocate of this cause could thrive within an environment where slavery was only a marginal institution provides fresh insights into the political culture of southern Appalachia, the character of the southern rights movement, and the coming of the Civil War.
- Author BiographyThomas E. Jeffrey is associate director of the Thomas A. Edison Papers, a project jointly sponsored by Rutgers University and the National Park Service's Edison National Historic Site. He is the author of State Parties and National Politics: North Carolina, 1815-1861 (Georgia).
- Author(s)Thomas E. Jeffrey
- PublisherUniversity of Georgia Press
- Date of Publication31/01/1999
- LanguageEnglish & English
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationGeorgia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Georgia Press
- Content Note6 b&w illustrations
- Weight826 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine31 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.