All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLadies and gentlemen, I'm t going to play this particular scene tonight. - Sabina Thornton Wilder's The Skin of Our Teeth (1942) telescopes an audacious stretch of western history and mythology into a family drama, showing how the course of human events operates like theatre itself: constantly mutable, vanishing and beginning again. Kyle Gillette explores Wilder's extraordinary play in three parts. Part I unpacks the play's singular yet deeply interconnected place in theatre history, comparing its metatheatrics to those of Stein, Pirandello and Brecht, and finding its anticipation of American fantasias in the works of Vogel and Kushner. Part II turns to the play's many historic and mythic sources, and examines its concentration of western progress and power into the model of a white, American upper-middle-class nuclear family. Part III takes a longer view, tangling with the play's philosophical stakes. Gillette magnifies the play's ideas and connections, teasing out historical, theoretical and philosophical questions on behalf of readers, scholars and audience members alike.
- Author BiographyKyle Gillette is Associate Professor and Director of Theatre at Trinity University San Antonio.
- Author(s)Kyle Gillette
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication15/09/2016
- SubjectOther Performing Arts
- Series TitleThe Fourth Wall
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight90 g
- Width119 mm
- Height172 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.38
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $15.71
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.29
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.26
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.52
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.