All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.85
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionIn Those Kids, Our Schools, Shayla Reese Griffin examines patterns of racial interaction in a large, integrated high school and makes a powerful case for the frank conversations that educators could and should be having about race in schools. Over three years, Griffin observed students, teachers, and administrators in a post-racial exurban high school in the Midwest. In its hallways, classrooms, lunchrooms, and staff meetings, she uncovered the disturbing ways in which racial tensions and prejudices persist and are reinforced. Students engaged in patterns of behavior that underscored racial hierarchies. Teachers- matter how intellectually committedto equity and diversity-often lacked the skills, resources, or authority to address racial issues, while administrators failed to ackwledge racial tensions or recognize how school practices and policies perpetuated racial inequality. This astute and thoughtful book offers a revealing glimpse into the world of young people struggling with the legacy of racism. More important, it highlights the disservice being done to all students in our schools when educators fail to critically interrogate issues of race. Griffin's perceptive analysis illuminates the persistent influence of race in our education system and shows how-with appropriate support-teachers and students can develop the capacity to address racial issues and dynamics in schools in a frank and constructive way.
- Author BiographyIn Michigan, Shayla Reese Griffin is the diversity and school culture consultant for the Washtenaw Intermediate School District and director of Creating Culturally Proficient Communities, a five-year initiative to improve racial and economic justice in the Ypsilanti Community Schools.
- Author(s)Shayla Reese Griffin
- PublisherHarvard Educational Publishing Group
- Date of Publication30/03/2015
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHarvard Educational Publishing Group
- Weight517 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Foreword byWilliam Jelani Cobb
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.