All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen the rural poor prioritize issues such as the right to bear arms, and disapprove of welfare despite their ecomic concerns, they are often dismissed as uneducated and backward by academics and political analysts. In Those Who Work, Those Who Don't, Jennifer Sherman offers a much-needed sympathetic understanding of poor rural Americans, persuasively arguing that the growing cultural significance of moral values is a reasonable and inevitable response to ecomic collapse and political powerlessness. Those Who Work, Those Who Don't is based on the intimate interviews and in-depth research Sherman conducted while spending a year living in Golden Valley, a remote logging town in Northern California. Ecomically devastated by the 1990 ruling that listed the rthern spotted owl as a threatened species, Golden Valley proved to be a rich case study for Sherman. She looks at how the members of the community coped with downward mobility caused by the loss of timber industry jobs and examines a wide range of reactions. She shows how substance abuse, domestic violence, and gender roles fluctuated under the town's ecomic strain.Compellingly written, shot through with honesty and empathy, Those Who Work, Those Who Don't is a rare firsthand account that studies the rural poor. As incomes erode and the American dream becomes more and more inaccessible, Sherman reveals that moral values and practices become a way for the poor to gain status and maintain a sense of dignity in the face of ecomic ruin.
- Author BiographyJennifer Sherman is assistant professor of sociology at Washington State University.
- Author(s)Jennifer Sherman
- PublisherUniversity of Minnesota Press
- Date of Publication28/10/2009
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationMinneapolis
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Minnesota Press
- Content Note6 b&w illustrations
- Weight318 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $7.99Trending at AU $8.23
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.78
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.22
- AU $67.34Trending at AU $74.69
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.87
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $46.99
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.