All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $78.63
- AU $65.99Trending at AU $71.23
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $114.18
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $84.73
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $76.35
- AU $12.63Trending at AU $18.69
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.47
About this product
- DescriptionFrancis Carson, brilliant British velist, rewned for his lyrical prose, his drinking, and his womanizing, was a free spirit who crashed through life. In February 1950 he was found dead in the Garden of Allah swimming pool. Diffident Quentin Castle-newly-married, a lowly junior partner in his father's firm, Castle Literary Agency-must convey this terrible news to the widow in Oxfordshire. Claire Carson's plight, impoverished, alone with three small children, her dignity, her desolation, her deep blue eyes awaken in Quentin wholly new emotions. In a spasm of gallantry, he promises to escort Francis's body home to England from California. Regent Films are making a movie of Carson's best kwn book in sun-splashed Hollywood. As a Brit, accustomed to austere, pinched, post-war London, Quentin navigates uneasily through artifice and opulence. The top executives at Regent treat him with conventional sympathy, polite condescension, and something obscure, tinged with evasion. But these few days in California-and a weekend in Mexico-will change Quentin Castle forever. His subsequent choices-variously brilliant, audacious and unethical-are enveloped in impenetrable layers of betrayal that will crack, crumble, and finally destroy.
- Author BiographyLaura Kalpakian is the author of eleven novels and three prize-winning collections of original short fiction. Her work has appeared extensively in the UK and the USA. She has been awarded a National Endowment for the Arts Fellowship, a residency at Hawthornden Castle, Scotland, and her 2006 novel, American Cookery was nominated for the International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award. A native Californian, Laura was educated on both the east and west coasts of the USA, and lives in the Pacific Northwest. You can find out more about Laura at her website at www.laurakalpakian.com
- Author(s)Laura Kalpakian
- PublisherThe Crowood Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/03/2015
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBuried River Press
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.