All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the winter of 187475, Edward Worrell Jarvis (18461894) and Charles Francis Hanington (18481930) survived an exacting expedition on behalf of the Canadian Pacific Survey from Quesnel, British Columbia, to Winnipeg, Manitoba. It led them over the rthern Rocky Mountains through what would come to be kwn as Jarvis Pass and eventually onto the Canadian plains. The trip took them 116 days and covered over 3,000 kilometres, of which almost 1,500 kilometres were on swshoes. <i>Through An Unkwn Country: The Jarvis Hanington Winter Expedition Through The Northern Rockies, 18741875</i> brings together the detailed day-to-day reports of Jarvis and the more entertaining narrative of the epic journey by Hanington into a single volume for the first time. Recounting harrowing treks through deep mountains, dense valleys, open foothills and wide prairie, this highly readable adventure story of mountaineering and discovery can most certainly be read alongside the better-kwn journals of Alexander Mackenzie, Simon Fraser, David Thompson and Paul Kane. Enhanced with archival photographs and illustrations, historians Mike Murtha and Charles Helm have brought together the gripping details of a forgotten 19th-century winter expedition that will transport readers to a frozen world of swshoes and dog teams, of sextants and compasses and moccasins, a world devoid of the ability to call for help when needed.
- Author Biography<b>Mike Murtha</b> has worked for both Parks Canada and BC Parks and was the planner for Banff National Park until his retirement in 2012. He, along with Charles Helm, is the co-editor of <i>The Forgotten Explorer: Samuel Prescott Fay's 1914 Expedition to the Northern Rockies</i> (RMB 2010). Mike lives in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. <b>Charles Helm</b> is a medical doctor originally from South Africa, the author of four books on the Tumbler Ridge area, and, along with Mike Murtha, is the co-editor of <i>The Forgotten Explorer: Samuel Prescott Fay's 1914 Expedition to the Northern Rockies</i> (RMB 2010). Charles lives in Tumbler Ridge, British Columbia, Canada.
- PublisherRocky Mountain Books
- Date of Publication08/12/2015
- SubjectTravel & Holiday Guides: General
- Place of PublicationSurrey, BC
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintRocky Mountain Books
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight431 g
- Width152 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byCharles Helm,Mike Murtha
Save on Textbooks
- AU $65.50Trending at AU $75.22
- AU $143.50Trending at AU $152.67
- AU $44.92Trending at AU $56.19
- AU $28.56Trending at AU $29.58
- AU $20.94Trending at AU $25.80
- AU $20.25Trending at AU $22.04
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.