All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'Guy Deutscher is that rare beast, an academic who talks good sense about linguistics...he argues in a playful and provocative way, that our mother tongue does indeed affect how we think and, just as important, how we perceive the world' - Observer . Does language reflect the culture of a society? Is our mother-tongue a lens through which we perceive the world? Can different languages lead their speakers to different thoughts? In Through the Language Glass , acclaimed author Guy Deutscher will convince you that, contrary to the fashionable academic consensus of today, the answer to all these questions is - yes. A delightful amalgam of cultural history and popular science, this book explores some of the most fascinating and controversial questions about language, culture and the human mind.
- Author BiographyGuy Deutscher is the author of The Unfolding of Language: The Evolution of Mankind's Greatest Invention. Formerly a Fellow of St John's College, Cambridge and of the University of Leiden in the Netherlands, he is an honorary Research Fellow at the University of Manchester. He lives in Surrey with his wife and two daughters.
- Author(s)Guy Deutscher
- Date of Publication01/02/2011
- SubjectHistory of Ideas & Popular Philosophy
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintArrow Books Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations (some col.), ports
- Weight313 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.84
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.70
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $35.01
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $87.71
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.14
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $35.87
- AU $28.96Trending at AU $38.89
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.