All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Franco-Austrian War of 1809 was Napoleon's last victorious war. He would win many battles in his future campaigns, but never again would one of Europe's great powers lie broken at his feet. In this respect 1809 represents a high point of the First Empire yet at the same time Napoleon's armies were declining in quality and he was beginning to display the corrosive flaws that contributed to his downfall five years later. In this volume Gill tackles the political background to the war and the opening battles of Abensberg, Eggmuhl and Regensberg. He explores the motivations that prompted Austria to launch an offensive against France while Napoleon and many of his veterans were distracted in Spain. Though surprised by the timing of the Austrian attack on the 10th April, the French Emperor completely reversed a dire strategic situation with stunning blows that he called his 'most brilliant and most skilful maeuvres'. Following a breathless pursuit down the Danube valley, Napoleon occupied the palaces of the Habsburgs for the second time in four years. Basing his work on years of primary research and battlefield visits, Gill provides a thorough analysis replete with spectacular combat, diplomatic intrigue and the illustrious cast of characters that populated this extraordinary age. The concluding volumes will take the war to its conclusion, including Napoleon's first unequivocal repulse at the Battle of Espern-Essling, the titanic Battle of Wagram and the neglected struggle at Znaim that led to armistice.
- Author BiographyJohn H. Gill is the author of With Eagles to Glory: Napoleon and His German Allies in the 1809 Campaign (Greenhill). Volume II will take the war to its conclusion, including the Battle of Wagram and the neglected struggle at Znaim that led to armistice.
- Author(s)John H. Gill
- PublisherPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Date of Publication20/03/2014
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationBarnsley
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFrontline Books
- Content Note16pp B&W Illustrations - plus maps
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $24.09Trending at AU $28.32
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.