All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.88
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $14.45Trending at AU $21.10
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.07
- AU $35.37Trending at AU $37.41
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $53.81
About this product
- DescriptionYears ago, few people understood the value of the submerged cultural resources beneath the waters of the Chesapeake region. Recently, the search for the regions underwater heritage has been validated and initiated an intensified attempt to study and preserve the priceless resources in the waters of the bay and its tributaries. Tidewater Time Capsule presents a fascinating account of one underwater archaeological endeavor in which Donald G. Shomette was intimately involved: the underwater survey of the Patuxent River, and, in particular, the search for Commodore Joshua Barneys Chesapeake Flotilla, which was lost beneath the rivers waters following a battle with the British during the War of 1812. The author skillfully sets the historical scene, and then proceeds to a first-person, on-the-site narrative of the investigative events as they happened. The Patuxent Project was the first underwater archaeological survey of an entire river system. In this multiphase investigation, archaeologists sought such diverse resources as inundated aboriginal and historic sites, harbor facilities, military establishments, battle sites, shipwrecks, and, in particular, the final resting place of Joshua Barneys famed Chesapeake Flotilla from the War of 1812.
- Author(s)Donald Shomette
- PublisherCornell Maritime Press Inc.,U.S.
- Date of Publication01/06/1995
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationCentreville
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCornell Maritime Press Inc.,U.S.
- Content Note66 b/w photos54 illustrations & 8 maps
- Weight794 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine30 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.