All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is the first legal treatment of tied aid and examines in detail the compatibility of tied aid with EU and WTO law. The workings of the aid projects and aid procurement systems of dor countries granting bilateral aid are fully examined through case studies from the UK, Italy, the EU and the US. Tied aid refers to aid granted to developing countries on condition that goods and services for the aid-financed projects are purchased from the dor country only. The recipient country, in order to receive the grant or the loan, has other choice but to fulfil the condition imposed by the dor. Ecomists have shown that tying aid undermines the effectiveness of aid. It leads to higher costs paid for the goods and services purchased and the distortion of the nature of the aid. Further, tying frustrates the potential of aid to foster trade between developing countries - in many of these countries public bodies and, in particular, aid-financed projects are major potential outlets for trade between neighbouring states. The importance of tied aid has been pointed out in ecomic literature but there is surprisingly little written on the legal aspects of tied aid practices and this book seeks to fill this major gap in the literature. The book is of interest to academics in the field of EU and WTO law, NGOs and practitioners working both in the field of public procurement and development policies.
- Author BiographyAnnamaria La Chimia is a Lecturer in Law at the University of Nottingham.
- Author(s)Annamaria La Chimia
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication30/08/2013
- SubjectInternational Law: Professional
- Series TitleStudies in International Trade and Investment Law
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- First Published2011
- ImprintHart Publishing
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight913 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine22 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.01
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.43Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.07Trending at AU $51.53
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.