All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.21
- AU $93.88Trending at AU $107.51
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.47
- AU $55.80Trending at AU $57.00
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.28
About this product
- DescriptionTime and the Word presents the first significant theological account of the foundations and methods of the figural reading of Scripture, reintroducing contemporary scholars to a traditional approach to biblical interpretation that dates back to Jewish practice from before the time of Jesus. Figural interpretation continued in prominence through the early church, the Middle Ages, and into the early modern period before being forcefully rejected with the rise of historical criticism. Embracing spiritual, allegorical, and prophetical ways of understanding the Bible, figural reading once offered a broad approach to reading Scripture - an approach that Ephraim Radner here engages through a foundational theological lens. In Time and the Word Radner first uncovers the theological presuppositions of figural reading, historically and philosophically, focusing especially on the Christian understanding of time and the divine. He then moves from the theoretical to the concrete, looking at examples of how figural reading of the Bible gives rise to specific doctrinal claims about God and informs Christian teaching and preaching.
- Author BiographyEphraim Radner is professor of historical theology at Wycliffe College, University of Toronto. An ordained Anglican priest active in ecumenical affairs, he has written several books on ecclesiology and biblical hermeneutics, including The End of the Church: A Pneumatology of Christian Division in the West, Leviticus: A Theological Commentary, and Brutal Unity: The Spiritual Politics of the Christian Church.
- Author(s)Ephraim Radner
- PublisherWilliam B Eerdmans Publishing Co
- Date of Publication30/06/2016
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Place of PublicationGrand Rapids
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWilliam B Eerdmans Publishing Co
- Weight612 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine33 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.