All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.25
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.80
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.96
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $36.07
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $50.46Trending at AU $57.09
About this product
- DescriptionWhether it's a trickling stream, a grassy slope, or an abandoned rail spur, the natural world offers teachers a wonderful resource around which to centre creative, inquiry-based learning throughout the year. Nobody kws this better than veteran teacher Laurie Rubin. In <em>To Look Closely: Science and Literacy in the Natural World</em>, she demonstrates how nature study can help students become careful, intentional observers of all they see, growing into stronger readers, writers, mathematicians, and scientists in the process.<br><br>Laurie invites you to join her class of twenty-one second graders as they visit a small stream in the woods behind a suburban elementary school, and she shares her reflections on class discussions, activities, and learning experiences. From setting a tone of inquiry-based thinking in the classroom to suggesting specific units of study for reading, writing, and science, Laurie guides teachers step-by-step through the basics of how to integrate the skills acquired through nature study into every subject. You will also discover all the ways this purposeful work nurtures green citizens who grow up determined to value and protect the natural environment.<br><br>Filled with student journal entries, narratives, and poems inspired by experiences in the natural world, <em>To Look Closely</em> will inspire and encourage you to become a careful observer of your own sit spots outdoors and embrace nature study for a year--or for whatever part of a year is possible for you.
- Author Biography<strong>Laurie Rubin</strong> taught first and second grades in Ithaca, New York for twenty-three years where nature study became the heart of her curriculum. She currently consults and presents on a variety of education topics including literacy and critical thinking skills. She continues to connect children to the natural world by teaching school and community based workshops.
- Author(s)Laurie Rubin
- PublisherStenhouse Publishers
- Date of Publication30/11/2013
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationYork, Maine
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintStenhouse Publishers
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight522 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.