Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.69Trending at AU $30.81
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.80
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.34
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.85
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.19
- AU $36.15Trending at AU $37.50
About this product
- DescriptionA controversial new history of the heroic year-long siege where British and Australian 'Desert Rats' held out against Rommel's Afrika Korps. The siege of Tobruk was the longest in British military history. The coastal fortress and vital deep-water port of Tobruk was of crucial importance for the battle for North Africa as the key that would unlock the way to Egypt and the Suez Canal.For over a year, the isolated garrison held out against all attempts to take it. For both sides it assumed a propaganda role that outweighed even its great strategic value. Goebbels referred to its defenders as 'rats', which in characteristic British fashion the whole army proudly adopted as their title, thus 'Desert Rats', and the port became a symbol of resistance when the war was going badly for Britain. When it fell and 25,000 men surrendered to an armoured assault on 21 June 1942, Churchill said it was 'one of the heaviest blows I can recall during the war'. William F. Buckingham's startling new account, drawing extensively on first-hand testimony from veterans on both sides, is the most comprehensive history of the epic battle and is sure to become the standard work on the subject.
- Author BiographyWilliam F. Buckingham is a leading expert on the Second World War. He teaches history at the University of Glasgow. His other books include D-Day: The First 72 Hours, Arnhem 1944 ('Buckingham leaves the reader in no doubt that British army politics, inexperience and incompetence led to this tragedy of errors' THE GUARDIAN; 'Startling... reveals the real reason why the daring attack failed' THE DAILY EXPRESS) and Paras. He lives near Glasgow.
- Author(s)William F. Buckingham
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/04/2008
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintTempus Publishing Ltd
- Content Note50 black and white illustrations
- Weight870 g
- Width172 mm
- Height248 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.