All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJ.R.R. Tolkien's experiences of the Battle of the Somme forever imprinted on his mind, and became a dramatic source of inspiration for The Lord of the Rings. This absorbing book charts Tolkien's life from 1914 to 1918, using old postcards, maps and photographs to paint a picture of the places and times that relate to one of the leading authors of the twentieth century. Tolkien joined the army in 1915 and trained in Bedford and Brocton Camp on Canck Chase while his wife lived in the village of Great Haywood, close to the camp. A number of the places in and around Great Haywood were destined to appear in his later works. In 1916 Tolkien learnt of the death of two of his school friends in the bloody Battle of the Somme. He contracted Trench Fever in late October 1916 and returned to Birmingham, his hometown, by hospital ship and train. The final part of the book covers his time in England, an era in which he was blighted by illness. Richly illustrated, this fascinating volume is an essential purchase for Tolkien-lovers everywhere.
- Author BiographyRobert S. Blackham is a member of the Birmingham Tolkien Strategy Group and the vice chair of The Shire Country Park Friends, a park named to commemorate J.R.R. Tolkien's childhood connections with the area in Birmingham. He is the author of The Roots of Tolkien's Middle-Earth, The Pitkin Guide to Tolkien, Tolkien's Birmingham, and Tolkien's Oxford.
- Author(s)Robert S. Blackham
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/09/2011
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations (some col.)
- Weight320 g
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $72.68
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $98.73
- AU $36.78Trending at AU $37.91
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.33
- AU $33.33Trending at AU $36.03
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.03
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.