All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $31.45Trending at AU $32.36
- AU $56.25Trending at AU $57.50
- AU $161.21Trending at AU $168.88
- AU $70.99Trending at AU $74.33
- AU $68.01Trending at AU $77.11
- AU $65.85Trending at AU $79.02
- AU $12.87Trending at AU $16.86
About this product
- DescriptionA story of transportation and life in a new world. At the tender age of eight, chimney sweep tom Appleby is convicted of stealing and sentenced to deportation to Botany Bay. As one of the members of the First Fleet, he arrives in a country that seemingly has little to offer - or little that the English are used to, anyway. Luckily, t long after tom's arrival in the colony, the fair and kind Sergeant Stanley decides to take on tom as a servant. together tom, Sergeant Stanley and his son, Rob, build a house, set up an orchard and a vegetable garden for themselves - and thrive, unlike many others in the new colony. Jackie French weaves tom's story in with the story of the development of Australia. She tells of a colony that, despite its natural abundance, cant offer what the colonists want - familiarity. While the people's health is better than it ever was in England, their morale is low as they wait for news from home. Ages 10+
- Author(s)Jackie French
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers (Australia) Pty Ltd
- Date of Publication28/04/2004
- SubjectYoung Adult Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew South Wales
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintHarperCollins Publishers (Australia) Pty Ltd
- Weight214 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
- Reading AgeFrom 10 To 99
Most relevant reviews
- cook-debo17 May, 2016by
Easy read but interesting.
A great read, recommend it to everyone interested in our history. Was sorry to get to the end!
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.