All listings for this product
Consider these sponsored items
- AU $21.33Was:AU $21.99Free postage
About this product
- DescriptionSee the movie in theaters in April 2017. In the tradition of Seabiscuit, the riveting tale of two proud Scotsmen who beat all comers to become the heroesof a golden age--the dawn of professional golf. Bringing to life golf's founding father and son, Tommy's Hor is a stirring tribute to two legendary players and a vivid evocation of their colorful, rip-roaring times. The Morrises were towering figures in their day. Old Tom, born in 1821, began life as a body--he was the son of a weaver and a maid. But he was born in St. Andrews, Scotland, the cradle of golf, and the game was in his blood. He became the Champion Golfer of Scotland, a national hero who won tournaments (and huge bets) while his young son looked on. As Keeper of the Green at the town's ancient links, Tom deployed golf's first lawnmower and banished sheep from the fairways. Then Young Tommy's career took off. Handsome Tommy Morris, the Tiger Woods of the nineteenth century, was a more daring player than his father. Soon he surpassed Old Tom and dominated the game. But just as he reached his peak--with spectators flocking to see him play--Tommy's life took a tragic turn, leading to his death at the age of twenty-four. That shock is at the heart of Tommy's Hor. It left Tom to pick up the pieces--to hor his son by keeping Tommy's memory alive. Like the New York Times bestseller The Greatest Game Ever Played, Tommy's Hor is both fascinating history and a moving personal saga. Golfers will love it, but this book isn't only for golfers. It's for every son who has fought to escape a father's shadow and for every father who had guided a son toward manhood, then found it hard to let him go.
- Author BiographyKevin Cook is the former editor in chief of Golf Magazine. An award-winning journalist, Cook has been a senior editor at Sports Illustrated, an executive editor at Travel & Leisure Golf, and a guest commentator on CNN and ESPN.
- Author(s)Kevin Cook
- PublisherGotham Books
- Date of Publication01/04/2008
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: Sport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGotham Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight318 g
- Width145 mm
- Height204 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $24.09Trending at AU $28.32
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.