All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPresented as a miraculous cure-all, To-Bungay is in fact thing other than a pleasant-tasting liquid with positive effects. Nonetheless, when the young George Ponderevo is employed by his Uncle Edward to help market this ineffective medicine, he finds his life overwhelmed by its sudden success. Soon, the worthless substance is turned into a formidable fortune, as society becomes convinced of the merits of To-Bungay through a combination of skilled advertising and public credulity. As the newly rich George discovers, however, there is far more to class in England than merely the possession of wealth.
- Author BiographyH. G. Wells was a professional writer and journalist, who published more than a hundred books, including novels, histories, essays and programmes for world regeneration. Wells's prophetic imagination was first displayed in pioneering works of science fiction, but later he became an apostle of socialism, science and progress. His controversial views on sexual equality and the shape of a truly developed nation remain directly relevant to our world today. He was, in Bertrand Russell's words, 'an important liberator of thought and action'.
- Author(s)H. G. Wells
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication31/03/2005
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Weight308 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Introduction byProfessor Edward Mendelson
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $24.37Trending at AU $30.90
- AU $68.55Trending at AU $73.71
- AU $19.97Trending at AU $23.01
- AU $56.63Trending at AU $60.72
- AU $7.48Trending at AU $12.42
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.07
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.32
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.