All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTony dreams that one day he'll become the most famous baker in rthern Italy. His poor daughter Serafina wants to be allowed to marry. Each of their dreams seems far away until Angelo, a rich young bleman from Milan, appears and devises a way to make everyone's dreams come true. <i>From the eBook edition.</i>
- Author BiographyTomie dePaola was born in Meriden, Connecticut, in 1934 to a family of Irish and Italian background. By the time he could hold a pencil, he knew what his life's work would be. His determination to create books for children led to a BFA from Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, New York, and an MFA from the California College of Arts & Crafts in Oakland, California. It drove him through the years of teaching, designing greeting cards and stage sets, and painting church murals until 1965, when he illustrated his first children's book, <i>Sound</i>, by Lisa Miller for Coward-McCann. Eventually, freed of other obligations, he plunged full time into both writing and illustrating children's books. He names Fra Angelico and Giotto, Georges Rouault, and Ben Shahn as major influences on his work, but he soon found his own unique style. His particular way with color, line, detail, and design have earned him many of the most prestigious awards in his field, among them a Caldecott Honor Award for<i>Strega Nona</i>, the Smithsonian Medal from the Smithsonian Institution, the Kerlan Award from the University of Minnesota for his singular attainment in children's literature, the Catholic Library Association's Regina Medal for his continued distinguished contribution, and the University of Southern Mississippi Medallion. He was also the 1990 United States nominee for the Hans Christian Andersen Medal for illustration. Tomie dePaola has published almost 200 children's books in fifteen different countries. He remains one of the most popular creators of books for children, receiving more than 100,000 fan letters each year. Tomie lives in an interesting house in New Hampshire with his four dogs. His studio is in a large renovated 200-year-old barn. - He has been published for over 30 years.- Over 5 million copies of his books have sold worldwide.- His books have been published in over 15 different countries.- He receives nearly 100,000 fan letters each year. Tomie dePaola has received virtually every significant recognition forhis books in the children's book world, including: - Caldecott Honor Award from American Library Association- Newbery Honor Award from American Library Association- Smithson Medal from Smithsonian Institution- USA nominee in illustration for Hans Christian Andersen Medal- Regina Medal from Catholic Library Association copyright (c) 2000 by Penguin Putnam Books for Young Readers. All rights reserved.
- Author(s)Tomie dePaola
- PublisherPutnam Publishing Group,U.S.
- Date of Publication25/03/2008
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Series TitlePaperstar Book
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPutnam Publishing Group,U.S.
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight122 g
- Width203 mm
- Height253 mm
- Spine3 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Sewn
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $17.00Trending at AU $18.75
- AU $12.13Trending at AU $16.83
- AU $14.96Trending at AU $20.83
- AU $9.34Trending at AU $15.64
- AU $10.36Trending at AU $14.56
- AU $10.15Trending at AU $11.84
- AU $20.68Trending at AU $23.69
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.