All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume offers a comparative analysis of the functioning of totalitarian and authoritarian discourses and their aftermath. Whereas other studies often focus on communist/post-communist examples and hence particularize totalitarian discourse, this book starts from a more encompassing theoretical perspective, transcending the limitation of totalitarian discourse to its communist constituent. The case studies presented in this volume thus provide a more differentiated analysis of discursive strategies in totalitarian and authoritarian regimes across the globe, including the former East Germany, former Yugoslavia, Romania, Lithuania, China, North Korea, the Philippines, Burma, Cuba and Tunisia. In addition to this geographical range, these studies also undertake new research into different eras, enabling comparison between past and present discourses. The findings are presented in three interconnected sections dealing with culture and education, media and official discourse, and power structures and politics. The extended scope of the case studies reveals the universal characteristics of totalitarian/authoritarian discourses over space and time.
- Author BiographyLutgard Lams is Associate Professor of Pragmatics, Media Discourse Analysis and Intercultural Communication at University College Brussels and Associate Research Fellow in the Faculty of Social Sciences at the Catholic University of Louvain. Her recent publications focus on the media discourse of China and the relationship between China and the West. Geert Crauwels is Assistant Professor of German Language and Culture in the German Department at Leiden University. His research focuses on power in contemporary German-language literature and on totalitarian discourse. Henrieta Anisoara Serban is Senior Researcher at the Institute of Political Science and International Relations and the Institute of Philosophy and Psychology 'Constantin Radulescu-Motru' in the Romanian Academy, Bucharest. She is also an associate member of the Academy of Romanian Scientists. Her research interests include the philosophy of science and communication and political communication.
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication12/12/2013
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2013
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Content Note10, 3 ill. b/w & 7 tab. b/w
- Weight500 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Edited byGeert Crauwels,Henrieta Anisoara Serban,Lutgard Lams
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.