Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $73.98
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.37
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.79
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.13
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.04
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $44.80
- AU $46.33Trending at AU $48.02
About this product
- DescriptionDo you kw what a sllygoster is? Would you eat something called a muktuk? Do you kw anyone who engages in olatry? Impress your friends and pepper your dinner party conversations with such nuggets as gobemouche, mumpsimus, and cachinnate. You can learn about all of these bizarre and beautiful words and many more in Totally Weird and Wonderful Words. Offering a potpourri of colorful and fascinating words compiled by ted lexicographer Erin McKean, it contains hundreds of definitions, and has been updated to include two new essays, with over 150 words new to this edition. Written in a clear and conversational style, the book contains full-page cartoon illustrations by Roz Chast and Danny Shanahan. Featuring hundreds of words guaranteed to amuse and astonish, this is a book that will appeal to logophiles everywhere. It also features a bibliography of Oxford dictionaries and a guide to creating your own unusual words correctly from Greek and Latin roots.
- Author BiographyErin McKean is the Senior Editor for the Oxford University Press North American Dictionary Program and the Editor of Verbatim magazine. Roz Chast is a staff cartoonist for The New Yorker and the author of more than five books of cartoons. Danny Shanahan is a staff cartoonist for the New Yorker and illustrator of numerous books, including The Dead Sea Scroll Palindromes.
- PublisherOxford University Press Inc
- Date of Publication11/11/2006
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOxford University Press Inc
- Content Note35 cartoons
- Weight229 g
- Width136 mm
- Height204 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edited byErin McKean
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.