All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $44.73Trending at AU $47.15
- AU $25.61Trending at AU $28.26
About this product
- DescriptionTouring Poverty addresses a highly controversial practice: the transformation of impoverished neighbourhoods into valued attractions for international tourists. In the megacities of the Global South, selected and idealized aspects of poverty are being turned into a tourist commodity for consumption. The book takes the reader on a journey through Rocinha, a neighbourhood in Rio de Janeiro which is advertised as the largest favela in Latin America . Bianca Freire-Medeiros presents interviews with tour operators, guides, tourists and dwellers to explore the vital questions raised by this kind of tourism. How and why do diverse social actors and institutions orchestrate, perform and consume touristic poverty? In the context of globalization and neoliberalism, what are the politics of selling and buying the social experience of cities, cultures and peoples? With a full and sensitive exploration of the ethical debates surrounding the 'sale of emotions' elicited by the first-hand contemplation of poverty, Touring Poverty is an invative book that provokes the reader to think about the role played by tourism - and our role as tourists - within a context of growing poverty. It will be of interest to students of sociology, anthropology, ethgraphy and methodology, urban studies, tourism studies, mobility studies, development studies, politics and international relations.
- Author BiographyBianca Freire-Medeiros is Senior Lecturer in Sociology at the Center for Research and Documentation on Brazilian Contemporary History (CPDOC) at the Getulio Vargas Foundation in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. She was a Research Fellow at the Center for Mobilities Research (CeMoRe) at Lancaster University.
- Author(s)Bianca Freire-Medeiros
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication31/08/2014
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note31 black & white illustrations, 29 black & white halftones, 2 black & white line drawings
- Weight340 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.