All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $16.90
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.70
- AU $9.06Trending at AU $14.03
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.87
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.83
- AU $20.29Trending at AU $25.57
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.85
About this product
- DescriptionToward a Metaphysics of Culture provides an initial, minimal, and original analysis of the concept of uniquely enlanguaged cultures of the human world and of the distinctive metaphysical features of whatever belongs to the things of that world: preeminently, persons, language, actions, artworks, products, history, practices, institutions, and rms. Emphasis is placed on the artifactual and hybrid nature of persons, naturalistic and post-Darwinian evolutionary considerations, and the bearing of the account on a range of disputed inquiries largely centered on the relationship between physical nature and human culture and between the natural and human sciences. The schema offered lays a foundation for a closer analysis of the human mind, cognition, interpretation, mologicality, rmativity, intentionality, realism, and related matters. The central thesis advances the heterodox tion, congruent with post-Darwinian studies in paleoanthropology, that the human person is a natural artifact, a functional transform of the primate members of Homo sapiens, by way of a complexly intertwined biological and encultured evolution, primarily dependent on the invention, transmission, and mastery of true language and the vel hybrid abilities that that makes possible. The emergence of persons is taken to be the obverse side of the mastery of language itself.
- Author BiographyJoseph Margolis is Laura H. Carnell Professor of Philosophy at Temple University, USA. He has taught in the United States, Canada, Sweden, New Zealand, and South Africa for more than sixty-five years. His most recent work, Pragmatism Ascendent: A Yard of Narrative, A Touch of Prophecy, was published in 2012.
- Author(s)Joseph Margolis
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication10/03/2016
- Series TitleRoutledge Studies in American Philosophy
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight454 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.