All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGreen design is the major architectural movement of our time. Throughout the world architects are producing sustainable buildings in an attempt to preserve the environment and our globe's natural resources. However, current strategies for forming sustainable solutions are typically too general and fail to take advantage of critical geographical, environmental, and cultural factors particular to a specific place. By focusing on the Pacific Northwest, this book provides essential lessons to architects and students on how sustainable architecture can and should be shaped by the unique conditions of a region. Pacific Northwest regionalism has consistently supported an architecture aimed at environmental needs and priorities. This book illuminates the history of a green trail in the work of key architects of the Northwest. It discusses environmental strategies that work in the region, organized according to nature's most basic elements--earth, air, water, and fire--and their underlying principles and forces. The book focuses on techlogies, materials, and methods, with a final section that examines thirteen exceptional Northwest buildings in detail and in light of their contributions to sustainable architecture. Critical case studies by Northwest architects illustrate some of the best environmental design work in North America. Notable architects from Seattle, Portland, and British Columbia are included. These projects feature invative design in water and site stewardship, intelligent techlogies, passive energy strategies, ecologically sound building materials, and environmentally sensitive energy management systems.
- Author BiographyDavid Miller is professor of architecture at the University of Washington and a partner in the Miller/Hull Partnership, named AIA Firm of the Year in 2003.
- Author(s)David E. Miller
- PublisherUniversity of Washington Press
- Date of Publication22/06/2005
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Washington Press
- Content Note200 illus., 150 in color
- Weight658 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Save on Textbooks
- AU $65.50Trending at AU $75.22
- AU $143.50Trending at AU $152.67
- AU $44.92Trending at AU $56.19
- AU $28.56Trending at AU $29.58
- AU $20.94Trending at AU $25.80
- AU $20.25Trending at AU $22.04
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.