All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionSince the appearance of Timothy Steele's first collection of poems in 1979, growing numbers of readers and critics have recognized him as one of the best and most significant poets of his generation. Widely credited with anticipating and encouraging the revival of poetry in traditional form, Steele has produced a body of work praised for its technical accomplishment, its intellectual breadth, and its emotional energy. Toward the Winter Solstice, Steele's first collection of new poems in twelve years, features his characteristic grace, wit, and power, while extending his range. In addition to the relatively short lyrical, descriptive, and contemplative poems he has always written so well, this collection offers several middle-length pieces that read almost like compressed vels. Addressing a variety of topics and themes, Toward the Winter Solstice explores the relationship between the world of nature and the world of ideas. In one way or ather, the poems attempt to link the external material universe with that sense of inward self-awareness central to our experience of life. Throughout, Steele writes with a clarity that t only illuminates his subjects but also ackwledges and preserves their ultimate mystery and complexity.
- Author BiographyTimothy Steele's previous collections of poetry include The Color Wheel and Sapphics and Uncertainties: Poems 1970-1986. He has also published two widely discussed works of literary criticism, Missing Measures: Modern Poetry and the Revolt against Meter and All the Fun's in How You Say a Thing: An Explanation of Meter and Versification. He is a professor of English at California State University, Los Angeles.
- Author(s)Timothy Steele
- PublisherOhio University Press
- Date of Publication15/04/2006
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationOhio
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSwallow Press
- Weight213 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.