All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.40
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.27
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.21
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $104.10
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.47
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.98
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $113.28
About this product
- DescriptionThis book challenges educators to envisage an education system which sees as its goal a more socially just world. It explores the question of how education, both formal and informal, can positively impact on all pupils' life chances and life experiences. The contributors to the book take the view that access to an equitable education for all is a necessary condition for the advancement of social justice; indeed the book argues that social justice cant be achieved except through education. The authors suggest that it is the responsibility of educators to support the advancement of the millennium development goals including the achievement of universal primary education and the promotion of gender equality and the empowerment of women. The authors in this collection explore a range of case studies and offer evidence for the ways in which education has proved detrimental to the advancement of social justice. More importantly they point to ways in which our global education system can be developed to meet the requirements of a socially just society.
- Author BiographyTony Cotton is a mathematics teacher by trade, having taught mathematics in secondary schools in Sheffield for ten years, moving to take on an advisory role in Multicultural Education. He has also worked as an advisor at an educational publisher with a responsibility for primary mathematics education. More recently Tony Cotton worked in both the universities in Nottingham, UK before taking up his current post as Head of Initial Teacher Education and Assessment Learning and Teaching at Leeds Metropolitan University. He has published books for pupils and their teachers as well as a wide range of academic articles.
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication18/07/2012
- Series TitleNew International Studies in Applied Ethics
- Series Part/Volume Number7
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2012
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Weight310 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byTony Cotton
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.