All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $28.80Trending at AU $30.04
- AU $64.00Trending at AU $72.23
- AU $23.82Trending at AU $25.91
- AU $49.99Trending at AU $51.74
- AU $45.88Trending at AU $54.15
- AU $17.27Trending at AU $24.32
- AU $36.11Trending at AU $41.19
About this product
- DescriptionCan the railroad that is uniting America bridge the gap between two boys from different backgrounds?</b> Shortly after the Civil War, Malachy laces on his father's boots and travels to the American West to work on the transcontinental railroad that will unite the country. In addition to the challenge of the physically grueling work, Malachy also has to adjust to working with Chinese men and boys, whom he views with suspicion and contempt. Despite everything, Malachy gets by with his love for his fierce new dog, Brina, and Blind Thomas, the most hardworking and loyal railroad horse around. But after a Chinese boy is blamed for stealing a bag of coins, Malachy begins to reconsider his prejudices--because Malachy is the real thief, and his conscience is uneasy. He begins to tice the many ways in which the Chinese workers are mistreated. And when real danger threatens, Malachy needs to find the courage to step up and do what's right. Diane Lee Wilson's atmospheric writing vividly depicts the western landscape of America in the 1860s, bringing readers alongside Malachy--and his beloved horse and dog--as he navigates a bumpy moral terrain, and discovers a friendship he never knew was possible.
- Author Biography<b>Diane Lee Wilson </b>is the author of <i>Black Storm Comin'</i> (which won a Spur Award for Best Western Juvenile, was a <i>Booklist</i> Editors' Choice, a <i>VOYA </i>Top Shelf fiction pick, a Notable Social Studies book, a <i>Bulletin</i> Blue Ribbon book, and a Book Links Lasting Connection), <i>Firehorse</i> (which was a <i>Booklist</i> Top Ten Mystery/Suspense pick and an ALA Amelia Bloomer Project pick), and <i>Raven</i><i>Speak</i>. She lives in Escondido, California. Visit her online at DianeLeeWilson.com.
- Author(s)Diane Lee Wilson
- PublisherMargaret K. McElderry Books
- Date of Publication03/04/2012
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMargaret K. McElderry Books
- Weight372 g
- Width147 mm
- Height217 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.