All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.06
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.78
- AU $6.83Trending at AU $10.44
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.49
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.41
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.65
About this product
- DescriptionThere has been serious consideration of local food in England. Most available material is lightweight, t very informative, and a waste of time for serious students. Prospect Books is about to change this, in the first instance with respect to the rth country. Last year Peter Brears published Traditional Food in Northumbria (Excellent Press). This title has w been taken on by Prospect Books. The next county for treatment is Yorkshire, the author's home. He has already written on this subject (John Donald, 1987) but this new work is double the length, with many more illustrations and supporting material. The book opens with a survey of the various ecomic and social groups in the county. progresses to a study of cooking, fuel and installations, then concentrates in a series of single subject chapters on staple foods - porridge, oatcake, bread, meat, fish, puddings, and cakes. There then follows chapters on dairy products and drinks, and closes with a folkloric survey of feats, fairs and calendar customers, and rites of passage such as headwashings, weddings and funerals. This is a book that every Yorkshireman needs. It will be as essential to the present-day resident, as to the vast number of the Yorkshire diaspora. And it will be very welcome to those who have felt the acute lack of any proper study of English food over the last few decades.
- Author BiographyPeter Brears is former Director of the Leeds City Museums and one of England's foremost authorities on domestic artifacts and historical kitchens and cooking technology. This year he is also publishing Cooking & Dining in Tudor & Early Stuart England with Prospect Books.
- Author(s)Peter Brears
- PublisherProspect Books
- Date of Publication10/06/2014
- SubjectNational & Regional Cuisine
- Place of PublicationBlackawton
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintProspect Books
- Content Note100 b&w illustrations
- Weight771 g
- Width160 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine38 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.