All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLondon's Trafalgar Square is one of the world's best kwn public places, and during its relatively short history has seen violent protest, imperial and royal spectacle and wild national celebration. This book draws together scholarship on national identity, cultural geography, and the histories of Britain and London to ask what role the Square has played in narrating British national identity through its many uses. The author focuses on a series of examples to draw out her arguments, ranging from the Suffragettes' use of the site in the early twentieth century to the Fourth Plinth contemporary art scheme in the early twenty-first. The book explores how different users of the Square have understood national identity, and how the site itself has shaped this narrative through its built elements and history of use. Ultimately, Trafalgar Square and the Narration of Britishness, 1900-2012 uses the Square to explore the processes by which urban public place can help to construct, maintain or transform national identity.
- Author BiographyShanti Sumartojo is a Research Fellow in the School of Architecture and Design at RMIT University in Melbourne, Australia. She studied at Carleton College, the University of Edinburgh and the Australian National University, from which she holds a PhD in Sociology. Her current research is on the social impact of public art and the sociology and geography of national commemorative sites. Her coedited volume (with Ben Wellings) on Great War commemoration in Europe and Australia will be published with Peter Lang in 2014.
- Author(s)Shanti Sumartojo
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication29/08/2013
- Series TitleBritish Identities Since 1707
- Series Part/Volume Number5
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2013
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Content Note8, 8 ill. (b/w)
- Weight340 g
- Width150 mm
- Height225 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.