Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $14.24Trending at AU $14.43
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $13.80
- AU $72.58Trending at AU $75.11
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.13
- AU $14.94Trending at AU $19.85
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $16.07
- AU $19.23Trending at AU $23.93
About this product
- DescriptionHigh in a remote Italian mountain hamlet, the church clock strikes in the night. It is swing heavily and Tranquili is born on January 23rd 1920. He will be the only child and must stay as convention dictates to work the land and look after his parents until they die. The land and his competitive obsession with the lore of mushroom hunting are compulsions in his blood. He discovers the knife-edge between gold and poison in this woodland underworld. His love for Lucia dominates his thoughts but he finds friendship as an old man with an English woman who is making her life on the mountain that he kws intimately. She has new eyes and he has old vision. The land unites them. Weaving between the past and the present, this is the story of Tranquili and the landscape that has shaped, confined and patterned his life. The Italian Apennines is a character in its own right in this charming, poignant story of an Italian peasant's life and love for his land. The book is beautifully written with a poetic strength and a wisdom and warmth that befits its hero, Tranquili. It made me laugh and made me cry, and at the end I didn't want to leave Tranquili and his world. Judith Murray, Literary Agent, Greene and Heaton.
- Author BiographyRuth Pickvance was born in Lancashire and grew up in Halifax, West Yorkshire, UK. After taking an English Literature degree at York University she worked in London and the Lake District before an international teaching career. She worked in Singapore and Italy and currently heads a Literature Faculty for an International College in South Wales. She has also had a successful career as an athlete. She was dominant on the European and Italian mountain running circuit and ran for GB and England, as well as recording some fast road marathons around the world. Tranquilino is her first novel.
- Author(s)Ruth Pickvance
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication25/10/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight490 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.