Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.19
- AU $13.90Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.18
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $23.32Trending at AU $32.85
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $79.99
- AU $50.05Trending at AU $66.59
About this product
- DescriptionThis book documents the extraordinarily complex pattern of trade upon which the pre-Independence ecomy of Ladakh largely depended. Although the trans-Himalayan traffic in subsistence commodities in other parts of the Himalaya has been researched, that in Ladakh has until w remained almost entirely undocumented. The book is based mainly on oral evidence; this is related to documentary sources ranging from the seventeenth to the twentieth century. This intriguing account of Ladakhi trade is spiced with eugh personal details of the traders at all levels, to demonstrate that trade' is something more than a matter of routes and commodities, prices and rates of profit; it is an activity carried out by real human beings, profoundly colouring their entire way of life.
- Author BiographyJanet Rizvi has a Ph.D. in History from Cambridge. She is a freelance writer and researcher. She is the author of Ladakh: Crossroads of High Asia (OIP).
- Author(s)Janet Rizvi
- PublisherOUP India
- Date of Publication16/08/2001
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew Delhi
- Country of PublicationIndia
- ImprintOUP India
- Content Note4pp colour plates, 4 maps, halftones and tables
- Weight458 g
- Width138 mm
- Height220 mm
- Spine19 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.