All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $16.87
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $9.06Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.78
- AU $20.29Trending at AU $25.53
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.81
About this product
- DescriptionThis collection presents essays by leading European and American scholars addressing new research approaches to US Studies and their transatlantic reverberations. Beginning with philosophical discussions of the serious challenges facing civilization from the perspective of philosophical pragmatism, through a critique of the pervasive and enduring media discourse of terrorism, to reflections on the position of scholarship focusing on the United States in difficult times - our times - this volume considers in depth what is called or miscalled American Studies. The collection's specific topics range from a fresh look at philosophical pragmatism, through various representations of danger and fear in visual culture, to texts recording new attitudes to the study of the United States. An essay on children confronting the New World, papers on transnational or postnational American studies, and on presidential leadership as therapy signal that the time has come to revise the canon of the study of the United States.
- Author BiographyElzbieta H. Oleksy is Full Professor of Humanities at the University of Lodz. She chairs the Department of Transatlantic and Media Studies and is Founding Director of Women's Studies Centre. She has recently published on the limits of gendered citizenships and on intimate citizenships and gender. Wieslaw Oleksy teaches at the Department of Transatlantic and Media Studies at the University of Lodz. He has published several books and articles on American Studies, contrastive linguistics, and speech act theory.
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication18/07/2011
- SubjectUsage & Writing Guides
- Series TitleAmerican Studies and Media
- Series Part/Volume Number3
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- First Published2011
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Content Note3, 3 fig.
- Weight460 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Edited byElzbieta H. Oleksy,Wieslaw Oleksy
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.