All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $5.99Trending at AU $8.24
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.83
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.29
- AU $67.69Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $44.28Trending at AU $47.12
About this product
- DescriptionEarly childhood education and care is a major policy issue for national governments and international organisations. This book contests two stories, both infused by neoliberal thinking, that dominate early childhood policy making today - 'the story of quality and high returns' and 'the story of markets', stories that promise high returns on investment if only the right techlogies are applied to children and the perfection of a system based on competition and individual choice. But there are alternative stories and this book tells one: a 'story of democracy, experimentation and potentiality' in which early childhood centres are public spaces and public resources, places where democracy and experimentation are fundamental values, community workshops for realising the potentiality of citizens. This story calls for transformative change but offers a real utopia, both viable and achievable. The book discusses some of the conditions needed for the story's enactment and shows what it means in practice in a chapter about project work contributed by a Swedish preschool teacher. Critical but hopeful, this book is an important contribution to resisting the dictatorship of alternative and renewing a democratic politics of early childhood education. It is essential reading for students and teachers, researchers and other academics, and for all other concerned citizens.
- Author BiographyPeter Moss is Emeritus Professor of Early Childhood Provision at the Institute of Education University of London, UK.
- Author(s)Peter Moss
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication16/04/2014
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleContesting Early Childhood
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note37 black & white illustrations
- Weight340 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.