Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.34Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.30
About this product
- DescriptionPromotional and advertising texts come in different forms and account for a considerable share of the translation market. Advertisements, company brochures, websites, tourist guides, institutional information campaigns, and even personal CVs all share a common primary purpose: that of persuading the reader to buy something, be it a product or a lifestyle, or to act in a particular way, from taking preventive measures against health risks to employing one candidate in preference to ather. Consequently, their translation requires the application of techniques which, although they vary depending on the specific text type, are all aimed at preserving that persuasive purpose. This often requires in-depth cultural adaptation and, on occasion, thorough rewriting. Translating Promotional and Advertising Texts covers different areas of personal promotion, business to business promotion, institutional and business to consumer promotion, including advertising. Numerous examples from a wide variety of languages and media, taken from the author's own professional experience and from real-life observation, are provided throughout. The volume is designed for use as a coursebook for classroom practice or as a handbook for self-learning. It will be of interest to undergraduate and postgraduate students, but also freelance and in-house translators, as well as other professionals working in sales, public relations or similar departments whose responsibilities include involvement in the management of multilingual advertising and promotion activities.
- Author BiographyIra Torresi teaches Translation from English into Italian and Interpreting between Italian and English at the Advanced School of Modern Languages for Interpreters and Translators (SSLiMIT) of the University of Bologna, Forli, Italy. Her research publications include studies on intercultural issues in the translation of advertising material. She also works as a freelance interpreter and translator, and has considerable experience in the promotional and advertising sector.
- Author(s)Ira Torresi
- PublisherSt Jerome Publishing
- Date of Publication10/01/2010
- Series TitleTranslation Practices Explained
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 12
- Place of PublicationManchester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSt Jerome Publishing
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight362 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.