All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $5.99Trending at AU $8.24
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.83
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.29
- AU $67.69Trending at AU $74.89
- AU $31.51Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $44.06Trending at AU $47.12
About this product
- DescriptionMuch of Canadian cultural life is sustained and enriched by translation. Translation Effects moves beyond restrictive tions of official translation in Canada, analyzing its activities and effects on the streets, in movie theatres, on stages, in hospitals, in courtrooms, in literature, in politics, and across cafe tables. The first comprehensive study of the intersection of translation and culture, Translation Effects offers an original picture of translation practices across many languages and through several decades of Canadian life. The book presents detailed case studies of specific events and examines the reverberation and spread of their effects. Through these imaginative, at times unusual, investigations, the contributors unveil the simultaneous invisibility and omnipresence of translation and present a cross-cut of Canadian translation moments. Addressing the period from the 1950s to the present and including a wide scope of examples from medical interpreting to film dubbing, the essays in this book create a paramic view of the creation of modern culture in Canada. Contributors include Piere Anctil (University of Ottawa), Helene Buzelin (Universite de Montreal), Alessandra Capperdoni (Simon Fraser University), Philippe Cardinal, Andrew Clifford (York University), Beverley Curran, Renee Desjardins (University of Ottawa), Ray Ellenwood, David Gaertner, Chantal Gagn (Universite de Montreal), Patricia Godbout, Hugh Hazelton, Jane Koustas (Brock University), Louise Ladouceur (Universite de l'Albera, Gillian Lane-Mercier (McGill University), George Lang, Rebecca Margolis, Sophie McCall (Simon Fraser University), Julie Dolmaya McDough, Denise Merkle (Universite de Moncton), Kathy Mezei, Sorouja Moll, Brian Mossop, Daisy Neijmann, Glen Nichols (Mount Allison University), Joseph Pivato, Gregory Reid, Robert Schwartzwald, Sherry Simon, Luise von Flotow (University of Ottawa), and Christine York.
- Author BiographyKathy Mezei is professor emeritus in the Department of Humanities at Simon Fraser University. Sherry Simon is professor in the French Department at Concordia University. Luise von Flotow is professor and director of the School of Translation and Interpretation at the University of Ottawa.
- Author(s)Kathy Mezei,Luise Von Flotow,Sherry Simon
- PublisherMcGill-Queen's University Press
- Date of Publication01/06/2014
- Place of PublicationMontreal
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintMcGill-Queen's University Press
- Content Note10 b&w photos, 2 tables
- Weight835 g
- Width3887 mm
- Height5817 mm
- Spine34 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.