All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $71.74
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.89
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $70.83
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.55
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.04
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.67
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.44
About this product
- DescriptionTranslation and Opposition is an edited volume that brings together cultural and sociological perspectives by examining translation through the prism of linguistic/cultural hybridity and inter/intra-social agency. In a collection of diverse case studies, ranging from the translation of political texts to interpreting in concentration camps, the book explores issues of power struggle, ideology, censorship and identity construction. The contributors to the volume show how translators, interpreters and subtitlers as mediators put their specific professional and ethical competences to the test by treading the dividing lines between constellations of 'in-groups' and cultural or political 'others'.
- Author BiographyDimitris Asimakoulas is the Programme Director for the MA in Audiovisual Translation and the MA in Translation Studies with Intercultural Communication at the Centre for Translation Studies at the University of Surrey. He has published in leading translation journals, focusing on sociological approaches to translation. He is a member of the editorial board for New Voices in Translation. Margaret Rogers is Professor of Translation and Terminology Studies and Director of the Centre for Translation Studies at the University of Surrey. She initiated the Terminology Network in the Institute of Translation and Interpreting, UK, and is a founder member of the Association of Terminology and Lexicography. She is a member of the Advisory Boards of Terminology, LSP and Professional Communication and Fachsprache as well as being a member of the Executive Board of the International Institute for Terminology Research.
- PublisherChannel View Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication06/09/2011
- Series TitleTranslating Europe
- Series Part/Volume Number4
- Place of PublicationBristol
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintMultilingual Matters
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight540 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byDimitrios Asimakoulas,Margaret Rogers
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.