All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe full story of modernism is yet to be written. This collection of essays provides an important page in this complex and inconclusive story of fluidities and hybridities by rendering problematical the linear sequence from modernism to postmodernism. This book explores the many facets of modernism in a variety of essays written by an international group of scholars. It deals with and puts in question the western literary tradition in many of its transcontinental and trans-hemispheric encounters. Criticism of 'high modernism' is put in perspective by discussions of German 'reactionary modernism', American 'social modernism' and 'mir arts', mid-twentieth-century 'Baudelairean modernity' and unprecedented expansions of the concepts of modernity and modernism themselves. Engaging in dialogue with the newest geographical, transnational, and global enlargements of the concept of modernism in time and space (from the 'Middle Passage' to emergent cultures of the twenty-first century, from Europe to America, Africa and Asia), the volume covers a wide range of translocal and transtemporal literary, artistic, cultural, and social fields and perspectives.
- Author BiographyThe Editors: Irene Ramalho Santos is Professor of English and American Studies at the Faculty of Arts and Senior Research Fellow at the Center for Social Studies, both at the University of Coimbra, and International Affiliate of the Department of Comparative Literature of the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Antonio Sousa Ribeiro is Professor of German Studies at the Faculty of Arts and Senior Research Fellow at the Center for Social Studies, both at the University of Coimbra.
- PublisherVerlag Peter Lang
- Date of Publication01/12/2008
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleTransatlantic Aesthetics and Culture
- Series Part/Volume Number3
- Place of PublicationPieterlen
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintVerlag Peter Lang
- Content Note4, 4 coloured ill.
- Weight400 g
- Width150 mm
- Height220 mm
- Edited byAntonio Sousa Ribeiro,Irene Ramalho Santos
- Foreword byFrancoise Meltzer
- Edition Statement1st New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.83Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.11
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $84.79
- AU $61.22Trending at AU $69.47
- AU $31.65Trending at AU $34.12
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $24.54
- AU $37.91Trending at AU $41.12
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.