All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.25
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.80
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.96
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $36.07
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $50.46Trending at AU $57.09
About this product
- DescriptionDebut talent Raoul Fernandes's first offering is Transmitter and Receiver , a masterful and carefully depicted exploration of one's relationships with oneself, friends, memories, strangers and techlogy. The three parts of this collection are variations building on a theme -- at times lonely, sometimes adoring, but always honest. Wider areas of contemplation -- the difficulty of communication, the ever-changing symbolism of language and the nature of human interaction in the age of machines -- are explored through colloquial scenes of the everyday: someone eats a burger in a car parked by the river ( Grand Theft Auto: Dead Pixels ), a song plays on the radio as a man contemplates suicide ( Car Game ), and a janitor works silently once everyone else has gone ( After Hours at the Centre For Dialogue ). Forthright and effortlessly lyrical, Fernandes builds each poem out of candour and insight, an addictive mix that reads like a favourite story and glitters with concealed meaning. Rather than drawing lines between isolation and connection, past and present, metaphor and reality, this book offers loneliness and longing hand-in-hand with affection and understanding: The last assembly instruction is always you reading this. A machine / that rarely functions, but could never without you.
- Author BiographyRaoul Fernandes has been writing poetry since childhood, and is involved in both online and offline writing communities. He completed the Writers Studio at Simon Fraser University in 2009. He was a finalist for the 2010 Bronwen Wallace Award for Emerging Writers, and winner of the 2010 Sakura Award at the Vancouver International Cherry Blossom Festival. His poem After Lydia was recently adapted into a short film. He lives and writes in Vancouver, BC.
- Author(s)Raoul Fernandes
- PublisherNightwood Editions
- Date of Publication01/03/2015
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNightwood Editions
- Weight112 g
- Width215 mm
- Height205 mm
- Spine5 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.