All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionChoice Outstanding Academic Title 2014 Transnational Tolstoy renews and enhances our understanding of Tolstoy's fiction in the context of World Literature, a term that he himself used in What is Art? (1897). It offers a fresh perspective on Tolstoy's fiction as it connects with writers and works from outside his Russian context, including Stendhal, Flaubert, Goethe, Proust, Lampedusa and Mahfouz. Foster provides an interlocking series of cross-cultural readings ranging from nineteenth-century Germany, France, and Italy through the rise of modernist fiction and the crisis of World War II, to the growth of a worldwide literary outlook from 1960 onward. He emphasizes Tolstoy's writings with the most consistent international resonance: War and Peace and Anna Karenina, two of the world's most compelling vels. Transnational Tolstoy also discusses a shorter work, Hadji Murad. It shares the earlier vels' historical sweep, social breadth, and subtle interplay among a large cast of characters. Along with bringing Tolstoy's gifts to bear on a Muslim protagonist, it also represents his most sustained attempt at world literature.
- Author BiographyJohn Burt Foster, Jr., is University Professor of English and Cultural Studies at George Mason University, USA. He is the author of Heirs to Dionysus: A Nietzschean Current in Literary Modernism (Princeton University Press, 1981) and Nabokov's Art Memory and European Modernism (Princeton University Press, 1993) and the editor, with Wayne J. Froman, of Dramas of Culture: Theory, History, Performance (Lexington Books, 2008). He is the past editor of The Comparatist and of Recherche litteraire / Literary Research, the journal of the International Comparative Literature Association.
- PrizesWinner of Choice Magazine Outstanding Reference/Academic Book Award 2015.
- Author(s)John Burt Foster
- PublisherContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication15/08/2013
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Weight348 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.88
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.15
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $15.66
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.21
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.08
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.20
- AU $30.32Trending at AU $31.91
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.