Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionDuring the last four decades, tremendous advances have been made towards the understanding of transport characteristics of contaminants in soils, solutes, and tracers in geological media. Transport & Fate of Chemicals in Soils: Principles & Applications offers a comprehensive treatment of the subject complete with supporting examples of mathematical models that describe contaminants reactivity and transport in soils and aquifers. This approach makes it a practical guide for designing experiments and collecting data that focus on characterizing retention as well as release kinetic reactions in soils and contaminant transport experiments in the laboratory, greenhouse), and in the field. The book provides the basic framework of the principals governing the sorption and transport of chemicalsin soils. It focuses on physical processes such as fractured media, multiregion, multiple porosities, and heterogeneity and effect of scale as well as chemical processes such as nlinear kinetics, release and desorption hysteresis, multisite and multireaction reactions, and competitive-type reactions. The coverage also includes details of sorption behavior of chemicals with soil matrix surfaces as well the integration of sorption characteristics with mechanisms that govern solute transport in soils. The discussions of applications of the principles of sorption and transport are t restricted to contaminants, but also include nitrogen, phosphorus, and trace elements including essential micronutrients, heavy metals, military explosives, pesticides, and radionuclides. Written in a very clear and easy-to-follow language by a pioneer in soil science, this book details the basic framework of the physical and chemical processes governing the transport of contaminants, trace elements, and heavy metals in soils. Highly practical, it includes laboratory methods, examples, and empirical formulations. The approach taken by the author gives you t only the fundamentals of understanding of reactive chemicals retention and their transport in soils and aquifers, but practical guidance you can put to immediate use in designing experiments and collecting data.
- Author BiographyH. Magdi Selim is Professor of Soil Physics and George and Mildred Caldwell Endowed Professor of Soil Science, School of Plant, Environmental and Soil Sciences at Louisiana State University at Baton Rouge. He received his B.S. degree in Soil Science from Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt, and his M.S. and Ph.D. in Soil Physics from Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa. Professor Selim is internationally recognized for his research in the areas of transport and kinetics of reactive chemicals in heterogeneous porous media and modeling of dissolved chemicals in water-saturated and unsaturated soils. He is the original developer of several conceptual models for describing the retention processes of dissolved chemicals in soils and natural materials in porous media. Pioneering work also include two-site and multireaction and nonlinear kinetic models for trace elements, heavy metals, radio-nuclides, explosive contaminants, phosphorus and pesticides in soils and geological media. Professor Selim is the author or coauthor of numerous scientific publications in several journals. He is author and co-author of several books. He is a member of the American Society of Agronomy, Soil Science Society of America, International Society of Soil Science, International Society of Trace Element Biogeochemistry, Louisiana Association of Agronomy, and American Society of Sugarcane Technology. Dr. Selim was elected chair of the Soil Physics Division of the Soil Science Society of America. He served on numerous committees of the Soil Science Society of America, American Society of Agronomy, and the International Society of Trace Element Biogeochemistry. He also served as associate editor of Water Resources Research and the Soil Science Society of America Journal and as Technical Editor of the Journal of Environmental Quality. Professor Selim is a Fellow of the American Society of Agronomy and the Soil Science Society of America. Dr. Selim is the recipient of several professional awards and honors. Awards received include Phi Kappa Phi Research, Gamma Sigma Delta Award for Research, Joe Sedberry Graduate Teaching Award, First Mississippi Research Award, Doyle Chambers Achievements Award, and EPA Environmental Excellence Award. Recent awards include the Soil Science Research Award from the Soil Science Society of America (SSSA) and von Liebeg Award from the International Union of Soil Science (IUSS).
- Author(s)H. Magdi Selim
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication29/09/2014
- SubjectEarth Sciences
- Place of PublicationBosa Roca
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCRC Press Inc
- Content Note202 black & white illustrations, 16 black & white tables
- Weight612 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.