All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $79.19
- AU $70.86Trending at AU $126.99
- AU $6.83Trending at AU $10.45
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.54
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $22.31
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.48
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.72
About this product
- DescriptionAuthentic vampire tales exist in Transylvanian folklore. Yet the Transylvanian vampire is thing like the bloodthirsty Count of Bram Stoker's imagination or the romantic hero of popular fiction. The Romanian tradition comes from the villages, reflecting the rms of peasant life and wisdom embedded in age-old communities. This book consists of 21 narratives created by the author, developed from the brief accounts recorded by local amateur anthropologists and cultural historians from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The goal is to capture the major themes found in the existing sources, retrieving the narrative thread and bringing the stories back to life.<br><br>The book also includes translations of 17 brief folk stories about Vlad ?epe?, kwn as Dracula. Contrary to the prevailing fictive image, these stories portray Vlad as a wise although strict ruler and a proud defender of his country's automy. An introduction discusses the Transylvanian village and its rich folk traditions, making explicit the comparison to the historic and to the fictional Dracula. An interlude analyses the characteristics of the Transylvanian vampire, including village superstitions regarding how to recognise and destroy one. Transylvania deserves commemoration of its own vampire stories, rather than those artificially created for it.
- Author Biography<strong>Adriana Groza</strong> teaches in the Rhetoric and Writing Department at San Diego State University. She was born in the Romanian province of Transylvania, but now lives in San Diego, California.
- Author(s)Adriana Groza
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication30/03/2014
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content Note, black & white illustrations
- Weight272 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.