All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionDonald Keene, hailed in the New York Times Book Review as the century's leading expert on Japanese literature, presents here a collection of premodern Japanese diaries that is both a literary history of this genre and a source of insight into Japanese life of the last thousand years. Ranging from objective to confessional, selections such as The Poetic Memoirs of Lady Daibu and Diaries of Seventeenth-Century Courtiers offer unparalleled glimpses into the lives of diverse writers from the Kamakura dynastic period to the Tokugawa period. Illuminating the hidden and largely unkwn worlds of imperial courts, Buddhist monasteries, country inns, and merchants' houses, Travelers of a Hundred Ages is an intimate account of the diarists' lives and a testimony to the struggles and advances of Japanese culture.
- Author BiographyDonald Keene is Shincho Professor of Japanese Literature and University Professor Emeritus at Columbia University.
- Author(s)Donald Keene
- PublisherColumbia University Press
- Date of Publication21/04/1999
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintColumbia University Press
- Weight635 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.