All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $132.35Trending at AU $138.02
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $72.32
- AU $32.92Trending at AU $36.29
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $47.53
- AU $30.90Trending at AU $31.55
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.06
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $50.95
About this product
- DescriptionMaintaining and forging religious networks across borders have long been part of migrants' activities. However, due to the wide availability of communication techlogies and the reduced costs of transportation, transnational social practices, including religious activities, have witnessed an ermous intensification in the last few decades around the world. Traveling Spirits seeks to understand these processes by investigating how religion goes global. How do religious agents create and maintain transborder connections? In what way are religious practices being transformed, reinforced or newly invented when transported to different places around the world? How are power relations negotiated within transnational religious networks? How are processes of coming and going linked to religious practices and discourses? The book's contributors provide rich ethgraphic case studies on mobile evangelists, moving spirit mediums, and traveling believers. They analyze the relationship between global, regional, national, local and individual religious processes by centering on ecomic activities, media representations, or politics of emplacement. Grounded firmly in cross-cultural comparison, this book contributes significantly to the literature on globalization, migration and transnational religion.
- Author BiographyGertrud Huwelmeier is a senior research fellow and lecturer of Social Anthropology at the Humboldt University Berlin. Kristine Krause is a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the Max Planck Institute for the Study of Religious and Ethnic Diversity, Goettingen.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication13/11/2009
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleRoutledge Studies in Anthropology
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 4
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note7 black & white illustrations, 2 black & white tables, 2 black & white halftones, 5 black & white line drawings
- Weight453 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byGertrud Huwelmeier,Kristine Krause
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.