All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.32
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.53
- AU $12.82Trending at AU $13.83
- AU $36.79Trending at AU $38.16
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.69
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.51
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.66
About this product
- DescriptionTraveller, Nomadic and Migrant Education presents international accounts of approaches to educating mobile communities such as circus and fairground people, herders, hunters, Roma and Travellers. The chapters focus on three key dimensions of educational change: the client group moving from school to school; those schools having their demographics changed and seeking to change the mobile learners; and these learners contributing to fundamental change to the nature of schooling. The book brings together decades of research into the challenges and opportunities presented by mobile learners interacting with educational systems predicated on fixed residence. It identifies several obstacles to those learners receiving an equitable education, including negative stereotypes and centuries-old prejudice. Yet the book also explores a number of educational invations that bring mobility and schooling together, ranging from specialised literacy programs and distance and online education to mobile schools and specially trained teachers. These invations allow us to think differently about how education can and should be, for mobile and n-mobile learners alike.
- Author BiographyPatrick Alan Danaher is Associate Professor (Education Research) in the Faculty of Education, and Scholarship of Learning and Teaching Program Leader in the Centre for Research in Transformative Pedagogies, at the Toowoomba campus of the University of Southern Queensland University, Australia. Mairin Kenny was Headmistress until 1998 of a primary school for Traveller children. She now works as a research consultant, and has written and lectured extensively on intercultural school provision and on Travellers' ethnic identity. Judith Remy Leder is a writing consultant and retired Director of the California State University, Fullerton, Business Writing Program.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication27/04/2009
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Series TitleRoutledge Research in Education
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 24
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note5 black & white illustrations, 5 black & white tables, 5 black & white halftones
- Weight498 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edited byJudith Remy Leder,Mairin Kenny,Patrick Alan Danaher
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.