All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $30.34Trending at AU $32.26
- AU $75.03Trending at AU $77.30
- AU $60.03Trending at AU $61.06
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $31.74
- AU $12.57Trending at AU $13.10
- AU $46.01Trending at AU $53.33
- AU $41.46Trending at AU $50.01
About this product
- DescriptionShortlisted for the 2014 International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award and the 2013 Independent Foreign Fiction Prize A vel of philosophy and love, politics and waltzes, history and the here-and-w, Andres Neuman's Traveller of the Century is a journey into the soul of Europe, penned by one of the most exciting South-American writers of our time. 'Every year hundreds of books are published but rarely comes a book that reminds us of why we loved reading in the first place, that innermost quest for words and dreams. Traveller of the Century is a literary gem' Elif Shafak A traveller stops off for the night in the mysterious city of Wandernburg. He intends to leave the following day, but the city begins to ensnare him with its strange, shifting geography. When Hans befriends an old organ grinder, and falls in love with Sophie, the daughter of a local merchant, he finds it impossible to leave. Through a series of memorable encounters with starkly different characters, Neuman takes the reader on a hypothetical journey back into post-Napoleonic Europe, subtly evoking its parallels with our modern era. At the heart of the vel lies the love story between Sophie and Hans. They are both translators, and between dictionaries and bed, bed and dictionaries,they gradually build up their own fragile common language. Through their relationship Neuman explores the idea that all love is an act of translation, and that all translation is an act of love. 'A beautiful, accomplished vel: as ambitious as it is generous, as moving as it is smart' - Juan Gabriel Vasquez, Guardian A big, utterly captivating murder mystery and love story, full of history and politics and the hottest sex in contemporary fiction - Daily Telegraph 'A thought-provoking historical romance, in which sex and philosophy mingle to delightful effect.' - Angel Gurria Quintana, Financial Times, Best Books of 2012 Novel of the century - Lawrence Norfolk Andres Neuman (b.1977) was born in Bues Aires and later moved to Granada, Spain. Selected as one of Granta magazine's Best Young Spanish-Language Novelists, Neuman was included in the Hay Festival's Bogota 39 list. He has published numerous vels, short stories, essays and poetry collections. He received the Hiperion Prize for Poetry for El tobogan, and Traveller of the Century won the Alfaguara Prize and the National Critics Prize in 2009.
- Author BiographyAndres Neuman was born in 1977 in Buenos Aires and now lives in Granada, Spain. He was selected one of Granta's Best Young Spanish-Language Novelists, and included in Hay's Bogota 39 list. He has published numerous novels, short stories, essays and poetry collections. Traveller of the Century won the 2009 Alfaguara Prize and the National Critics Prize. Pushkin Press will publish his latest novel, Hablar Solos, in 2014.
- PrizesShortlisted for Independent Foreign Fiction Prize 2013.
- Author(s)Andres Neuman
- PublisherPushkin Press
- Date of Publication10/01/2013
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPushkin Press
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine37 mm
- Translated byNick Caistor,Lorenza Garcia
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.