All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is the history of England's turbulent times, told through the stories of the country's bility. The book begins with the Norman Conquest in 1066 and ends with the union of England and Scotland in 1707. The bility fought wars against Scotland in the rth and against France on the Continent. They conquered Ireland and Wales and then had to deal with the rebellions that followed. This is the story of their abduction plots and assassination attempts and the brutal retribution when the treachery failed. It recalls the barons' rebellions and the peasant uprisings against the king. It also explains the reasons behind the family factions who fought for the crown, the most famous example being the War of the Roses. Also covered are the ble marriages arranged by the king to reward loyalty and maintain the balance of power. It tells of the children betrothed to marry, the failed marriages of convenience and the secret marriages for love. Learn how Henry VIII introduced new problems when he appointed himself head of the Church of England. Successive monarchs switched between the new church and the Catholic Church. Then there was the challenge to Charles I's rule in the Civil Wars.The story ends with the union of England and Scotland and the creation of Great Britain in 1707. It was also the end of the period of treachery and retribution which had plagued the English crown for nearly 650 years.
- Author BiographyAndrew Rawson has thirty history books to his name, which cover a wide array subjects ranging from medieval times, to the modern Iraq War. He has written eight books for Pen & Sword's 'Battleground Europe' series and three reference books for The History Press 'Handbook' series. He has also completing a multi-volume account of the British Army's battles for the centenary of the First World War. Andrew has a master's degree with Birmingham University's history department and he now lives in Mallorca, Spain.
- Author(s)Andrew Rawson
- PublisherPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Date of Publication28/02/2017
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationBarnsley
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPen & Sword History
- Content Note32 illustrations
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.95
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
- AU $28.58Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $32.12
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.