All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn every decade of the twentieth century, there was one sensational murder trial that riveted public attention and at the time was called the trial of the century. This book tells the story of each murder case and the dramatic trial and media coverage that followed. Starting with the murder of famed architect Stanford White in 1906 and ending with the O.J. Simpson trial of 1994, the authors recount ten compelling tales spanning the century. Each is a story of celebrity and sex, prejudice and heartbreak, and all reveal how often the arc of American justice is pushed out of its trajectory by an insatiable media driven to sell copy. The most teworthy cases are here--including the Lindbergh baby kidnapping, the Sam Sheppard murder trial ( The Fugitive ), the Helter Skelter murders of Charles Manson, and the O.J. Simpson murder trial. But some cases that today are lesser kwn also provide fascinating glimpses into the ter of the time: the media sensation created by yellow journalist William Randolph Hearst around the murder trial of 1920s movie star Roscoe Fatty Arbuckle; the murder of the Scarsdale Diet guru by an elite prep-school headmistress in the 1980s; and more. The authors conclude with an epilogue on the infamous Casey Anthony( tot mom )trial, showing that the twenty-first century is as prone to sensationalism as the last century. This is a fascinating history of true crime, justice gone awry, and the media often at its worst.
- Author Biography<b>Mark J. Phillips</b> has been practicing law for thirty-five years with the Law Offices of Goldfarb, Sturman & Averbach in Encino, California. He is also an adjunct professor at the University of West Los Angeles College of Law, where he teaches courses on trusts and estates. <b>Aryn Z. Phillips</b> holds undergraduate degrees in history and international relations from Emory University and a Masters degree (MPH) from Harvard, where she focused on social and behavioral sciences.She is currently pursuing her PhD in public health at the University of California at Berkeley.
- Author(s)Aryn Z. Phillips,Mark J. Phillips
- PublisherPrometheus Books
- Date of Publication03/08/2016
- SubjectTrue Stories
- Place of PublicationAmherst
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2016
- ImprintPrometheus Books
- Weight408 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $25.79Trending at AU $26.18
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $19.99Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.