All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionNative Americans have been a constant fixture on television, from the dawn of broadcasting, when the iconic Indian head test pattern was frequently used during station sign-ons and sign-offs, to the present. In this first comprehensive history of indigeus people in television sitcoms, Dustin Tahmahkera examines the way Native people have been represented in the genre. Analyzing dozens of television comedies from the United States and Canada, Tahmahkera questions assumptions that Native representations on TV are inherently stereotypical and escapist. From The Andy Griffith Show and F-Troop to The Brady Bunch, King of the Hill, and the Native-produced sitcom, Mixed Blessings, Tahmahkera argues that sitcoms t only represent Native people as objects of humor but also provide a forum for social and political commentary on indigeus-settler relations and competing visions of America. Considering indigeus people as actors, producers, and viewers of sitcoms as well as subjects of comedic portrayals, Tribal Television underscores the complexity of Indian representations, showing that sitcoms are critical contributors to the formation of contemporary indigeus identities and relationships between Native and n-Native people.
- Author BiographyDustin Tahmahkera</strong (Comanche Nation) is assistant professor of communication studies at Southwestern University.
- Author(s)Dustin Tahmahkera
- PublisherThe University of North Carolina Press
- Date of Publication30/10/2014
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationChapel Hill
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University of North Carolina Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight544 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine20 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $70.50
- AU $32.48Trending at AU $37.71
- AU $28.53Trending at AU $29.22
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.32
- AU $30.99Trending at AU $39.61
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.70
- AU $25.62Trending at AU $32.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.