All listings for this product
Best-selling in Cook Books
Save on Cook Books
- AU $33.24Trending at AU $33.88
- AU $41.47Trending at AU $42.67
- AU $44.95Trending at AU $49.62
- AU $42.71Trending at AU $44.89
- AU $28.80Trending at AU $33.02
- AU $7.96Trending at AU $12.63
- AU $33.83Trending at AU $39.44
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a reprint and recovering of the first volume in Prospect's series The English Kitchen. The authors trace the development and spread of that quintessentially English dish, the trifle. Relaxing after the labours of the Oxford Companion to Food, the late Alan Davidson and his trusty lieutenant of the last years of its compilation, Helen Saberi, turned their spotlight on trifle. Nothing is more emblematic of English cookery. Trifles have been a perennial of English summer lunches, tennis parties, and schoolboy dreams of plenty. The authors trace their origins to the earliest recipe of 1596 and its gradual transformation from a mere cooked cream to the many-layered custardy extravagance we kw today. The stages on its journey, described with the lightest of touch, are illustrated by recipes extracted from classic English cookery books. With their customary brilliance they have universalised the English experience, casting far and wide for examples, returning home with trifles from Laos, America, Australasia, Mexico, Eritrea, South Africa, Afghanistan, Malta, and even Norway, where Veiled Maidens are all the rage at teatime. The resulting recipes, handy tips and historical speculation amount to a ladleful of wit and amusement. Trifle was first published by Prospect in 2001. On its first appearance it garnered many appreciative comments.
- Author BiographyHelen Saberi has written Noshe Djan. Afghan Food and Cookery. She was principal assistant to Alan Davidson on the Oxford Companion to Food and is currently writing a book on Tea for Reaktion Books. The late Alan Davidson was one of Britain's most distinguished writers on food. His books on fish and seafood and the Oxford Companion have severally been hailed as masterpieces.
- Author(s)Alan Davidson,Helen Saberi
- PublisherProspect Books
- Date of Publication01/10/2009
- SubjectFood & Drink: General
- Series TitleThe English Kitchen
- Place of PublicationBlackawton
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintProspect Books
- Content Note12 b&w illustrations
- Weight204 g
- Width137 mm
- Height187 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsWith flaps
- Edition StatementRevised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.