All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.86
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $36.22Trending at AU $37.61
About this product
- DescriptionThis first edition ever published of Trimalchio, an early and complete version of F. Scott Fitzgerald's classic vel The Great Gatsby w appears in paperback. Fitzgerald wrote the vel as Trimalchio and submitted it to Maxwell Perkins, his editor at Scribner's, who had the vel set in type and the galleys sent to Fitzgerald in France. Fitzgerald then virtually rewrote the vel in galleys, producing the book we kw as The Great Gatsby. This ur-version, Trimalchio, has never been published and is markedly different from The Great Gatsby: two chapters were completely rewritten for the published vel, and the rest of the book was heavily revised. Characterization is different, the narrative voice of Nick Carraway is altered and, most importantly, the revelation of Jay Gatsby's past is handled in a wholly different way.
- Author BiographyJames L. W. West is Distinguished Professor of English at Pennsylvania State University, where he is a Fellow in the Institute for the Arts and Humanistic Studies. His most recent book is William Styron, A Life (1998).
- Author(s)F. Scott Fitzgerald
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication25/04/2002
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleThe Cambridge Edition of the Works of F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note5 b/w illus.
- Weight260 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byJames L. W. West
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.