All listings for this product
Consider these sponsored items
- AU $13.99Free postage
- AU $15.70Free postage
About this product
- DescriptionSimen's romans durs are extraordinary: tough, bleak, offhandedly violent, suffused with guilt and bitterness, redolent of place ...utterly unsentimental, frightening in the pitilessness of their gaze, yet wonderfully entertaining. - John Banville A young Frenchman, Joseph Timar, travels to Gabon carrying a letter of introduction from an influential uncle. He wants work experience; he wants to see the world. But in the oppressive heat and glare of the equator, Timar doesn't kw what to do with himself, and one seems inclined to help except Adele, the hotel owner's wife, who takes him to bed one day and rebuffs him the next, leaving him sick with desire. But then, in the course of a single night, Adele's husband dies and a black servant is shot, and Timar is sure that Adele is involved. He'll cover for the crime if she'll do what he wants. The fix is in. But Timar can't even begin to imagine how deep. In Tropic Moon, Simen, the master of the psychological vel, offers an incomparable picture of degeneracy and corruption in a colonial outpost.
- Author BiographyGeorges Simenon (1903-1989) was born in Liege, Belgium. In 1923 he moved to Paris, where under various pseudonyms he became a highly successful author of pulp fiction. In the early 1930s, Simenon emerged as a writer under his own name, gaining renown for his detective stories featuring Inspector Maigret. He also began to write his psychological novels, or romans durs. He wrote nearly two hundred books under his own name and became the worldwide best-selling. Norman Rush's stories have appeared in The New Yorker, The Paris Review, and Best American Short Stories. His first novel, Mating, was the recipient of the National Book Award. Marc Romano is a writer living in New York City.
- Author(s)Georges Simenon
- PublisherThe New York Review of Books, Inc
- Date of Publication03/02/2007
- SubjectCrime, Thriller & Adventure
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNYRB Classics
- Weight163 g
- Width128 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine126 mm
- Translated byMarc Romano
- Introduction byNorman Rush
- Edition StatementMain
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $30.31Trending at AU $32.13
- AU $75.03Trending at AU $77.01
- AU $12.55Trending at AU $13.05
- AU $46.02Trending at AU $53.13
- AU $41.46Trending at AU $49.82
- AU $28.96Trending at AU $31.76
- AU $12.15Trending at AU $14.05
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.